Backyard Orchard News
Bees, butterflies and sunflowers at the California State Fair? Yes. The state fair, which opened...
Kearney will get a new IPM Academic Advisor to develop and deliver a nut, fruit and vine crop research and extension program.
Kearney Agricultural Research and Extension Center has recently lost several academic positions due to retirements. A strong presence of diverse applied agriculture and natural resources research at Kearney is essential to the University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources strategic vision of helping ensure that California has healthy food systems, healthy environments, healthy communities and healthy Californians. UC ANR is presently developing new academic positions to replace retirees.
During the week of July 29, 2013, the University of California, Cooperative Extension is interviewing for an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Advisor, Entomology position. This position is designed to develop and deliver IPM strategies and practices to nut, fruit and vine growers and pest control advisers in the San Joaquin Valley. This position, located at Kearney, will continue the excellent work of Bill Barnett and Walt Bentley and is dedicated to the 30 year mission of UC IPM.
The public is invited to attend the 1 hour seminars being presented by candidates for this position. The presentations will be held in Kearney’s Nectarine Room. The schedule is:
- Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM: : Improving binomial sampling for twospotted spider mite on peppermint in California.
- Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM: Adventures in IPM: Whiteflies, navel orangeworms, and spotted wing drosophila. An overview of three IPM studies.
- Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM: Great Grape News: An IPM Success Story in Washington State.
- Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM: Developing an IPM program for vine mealybug in table grapes in the lower San Joaquin Valley.
- Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM: The whole-farm approach to pest management in orchards.
Lindcove REC has a small block of mature Manzanilla and Sevillano olive trees. In past years...
It pays to have a pond. A pond attracts dragonflies and damselflies. Last weekend, though, we...
Quick! What butterfly is depicted on the California State Fair monorail train? Hint: It's the...